Paperback Writer is pleased to introduce Brett Battles, author of Shadow of Betrayal in our first Thursday Thirteen. Jonathan Quinn is the main character in this suspense novel and the focus of our Thirteen Things to Know about Jonathan Quinn.
BIOBrett Battles lives in Los Angeles and is the author of two acclaimed novels in the Jonathan Quinn series: The Cleaner, which was nominated for a Barry Award for Best Thriller and a Shamus Award for Best First Novel, and The Deceived, which was nominated for a Barry Award for Best Thriller. He is at work on the fourth book in the series.
You can visit Brett Battles website at www.brettbattles.com.
BOOK SYNOPSISThe meeting place was carefully chosen: an abandoned church in rural Ireland just after dark. For Jonathan Quinn—a freelance operative and professional “cleaner”—the job was only to observe. If his cleanup skills were needed, it would mean things had gone horribly wrong. But an assassin hidden in a tree assured just that. And suddenly Quinn had four dead bodies to dispose of and one astounding clue—to a mystery that is about to spin wildly out of control.
Three jobs, no questions. That was the deal Quinn had struck with his client at the Office. Unfortunately for him, Ireland was just the first. Now Quinn, along with his colleague and girlfriend—the lethal Orlando—has a new assignment touched off by the killings in Ireland. Their quarry is a U.N. aide worker named Marion Dupuis who has suddenly disappeared from her assignment in war-torn Africa. When Quinn finally catches a glimpse of her, she quickly flees, frantic and scared. And not alone.
For Quinn the assignment has now changed. Find Marion Dupuis, and the child she is protecting, and keep them from harm. If it were only that easy.
Soon Quinn and Orlando find themselves in a bunker in the California hills, where Quinn will unearth a horrifying plot that is about to reach stage critical for a gathering of world leaders—and an act of terror more cunning, and more insidious, than anyone can guess.
Fast, smart, sleek, and stunning, Shadow of Betrayal is vintage Brett Battles: a gritty, gripping masterpiece of suspense, a thriller that makes the pulse pound—and stirs the heart as well.
13 Things about Jonathan Quinn
1. Quinn makes bodies vanish for a living, that’s why they call him the cleaner.
2. Though no one has created a ranking of his profession, he would be right at the top.
3. He hates cold weather. I mean REALLY hates it.
4. He was born in Warroad, Minnesota, but lives now in California.
5. He doesn’t like to shoot, but if it’s necessary, he will, and he seldom misses.
6. Before he became a cleaner, Quinn was a police officer in Phoenix,Arizona.
7. He would do anything for Orlando, his girlfriend and partner.
8. He was forced to kill the man who made him a cleaner, his mentor Durrie.
9. He hopes his own apprentice, Nate, never has to be in the position to kill him.
10. Though only in his mid-thirties, he has begun contemplating retirement.
11. He makes a lot of money per job.
12. If he was honest when asked what his biggest weakness was, he’d have to say it was a tie between his curiosity and his sense of honor. They would be his biggest assets, too.
13. If you ever want a body to disappear forever, Quinn’s your man.
Brett Battles lives in Los Angeles and is the author of two acclaimed novels in the Jonathan Quinn series: The Cleaner, which was nominated for a Barry Award for Best Thriller and a Shamus Award for Best First Novel, and The Deceived, which was nominated for a Barry Award for Best Thriller. He is at work on the fourth book in the series.
You can visit Brett Battles website.
Brett Battles virtual book tour is brought to you Pump Up Your Book Promotion.