Whoever you are, whatever your skills and experiences, you can use what you have gained in life to help change the world. In connection with The Finishers Project, The Second-Half Adventure will enable you to analyze where you have been, where you want to go in the second-half of your life, and how to start preparing today.
Through the stories of individuals and couples who have found meaningful involvements—from business people to housewives, from engineers to artists—this book will help you infuse your special God-given years with purpose and eternal significance. The best adventure is yet to come!
Thursday Thirteen – Thirteen Facts About the Second-Half Adventure by Kay Strom
1. Every 7 seconds another baby boomer turns 50. That’s 12,000 people a day. Nearly 4.5 million this year! It adds up to lots of potential readers for The Second-Half Adventure.
2. A mere one boomer in ten plans to truly retire at retirement age. Others will keep working, or will find a new job, or will join the forces of volunteers. But many of these have no idea what specifically they can do. Well, until now, that is.
3. Statistics show that many boomers will spend twenty or thirty years in the so-called retirement stage of life. That’s one third of their life span. Yep, it is without a doubt time for a reinvented retirement plan!
4. With a little guidance, baby boomers can be in a unique position to change the world.
5. I partnered with Finishers Project in writing this book. Wondering what Finishers does? Think eharmony.com for missions.
6. While it took me just nine months to write this book, it took almost three years of thinking and planning to prepare for it.
7. A book can have a wide focus (“reinventing retirement”) but to really meet a need, it must have a specific and unique twist (“using your life’s accomplishments to fashion your second half”).
8. I interviewed over 50 people for The Second-Half Adventure. They came from many states of the U.S. plus South America, Africa, China, India, Israel, and Nepal.
9. Ever think of getting older as a gift? Well, in most of the world that’s exactly what it is. Many consider age as an automatic sign of maturity and wisdom.
10. Can you imagine a mob pointing to Christian baby boomers and proclaiming, “Here are the people who have been turning the world upside down!” (see Acts 17: 1-6) It could happen, you know.
11. One of the greatest accomplishments of the baby boomer generation is the generation they raised up. Now that younger generation is in need of mature boomers to actively mentor them. Six ways—check it out.
12. In a recent survey, people over 95 were asked how they would live their lives differently if they had the chance. The number one answer was: “I would do more things that live on after I’m dead.” Those folks may be a little old for a second-half adventure, but they are just the right age to pass along their hard won wisdom!
13. There is great truth in the subtitle of The Second-Half Adventure: You don’t need to just retire-you can use your time, skills and resources to change the world!
About the Author:
Kay Marshall Strom is the author of thirty-six published books, including her most recent, The Second-Half Adventure: Don’t Just Retire-Use Your Time, Skills & Resources to Change the World. Her writing credits also include numerous magazine articles, short stories, curriculum, stories for children, two prize-winning screenplays, and booklets for writers. Kay speaks at seminars, retreats, and special events throughout the country. She and her husband Dan Kline love to travel, and more and more Kay’s writing and speaking take her around the word. To find out more about Kay, or for contact information, check her website at www.kaystrom.com.