Rock Stars is a look back and forward with the glam metal singers from the eighties. Accompanied by illustrations of each singer, Rock Stars takes a tongue and cheek look at both the careers and music created during this time.
Twenty-eight mini-profiles detailing strengths, weaknesses, and X factors ranging from Kip Winger’s hair, David Lee Roth’s use of the microphone, to Bret Michaels reality series comeback. Think Behind The Music on cocaine.
Thursday 13: Thirteen things you didn’t know, or want to know, about eighties Rock Stars by David S. Grant
1. Despite his karate kicks and microphone stand moves, David Coverdale (Whitesnake) is NOT a ninja.
2. On the subject of Whitesnake, Tawny Kitaen’s 80’s hair band debut was not simulating sex on David Coverdale’s car, but rather the girl crawling out of the cellar on the cover of Ratt’s Out of The Cellar album.
3. Van Halen’s video for “Jump” cost only $500. David Lee Roth claims $450 was spent on beer.
4. The video for Poison’s “Talk Dirty to Me” cost $5000. I’m assuming $4,950 went toward lipstick and bandanas.
5. Sammy Hagar (Van Halen) manufactures his own tequila; it’s called Cabo Wabo Tequila.
6. Ironic? Jani Lane (Warrant) recently had a warrant issued when he didn’t show for a court date.
7. Bon Scott’s (AC/DC) official cause of death was “Death by Misadventure”.
8. Despite rumors, it is untrue that Kip Winger (Winger) had to go to rehab to learn how to button his shirt.
9. Ozzy Osbourne is the only person in the universe to play the role of Mad Scientist, Werewolf, and Executioner, all in the same video.
10. Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) starred on an episode of Two and Half Men. This actually happened; Tyler and Charlie Sheen together, breaking the record for number of rehab stints on a sitcom.
11. After a dozen viewings, it is still unclear to me, but Jon Bon Jovi (Bon Jovi) is wearing either leggings or bandanas around his ankles in the video “Runaway”.
12. Sebastian Bach (Skid Row), may be the first person to go on Celebrity Fit Club and create a diet primarily based on red wine.
13. Gene Simmons (Kiss) has marketed the Kiss brand from classic action figures to lunch boxes to everything in between. The “in between” includes a Kiss coffin.
About the Author:
David S. Grant was born in West Allis, WI. He is the author of Corporate Porn, Bleach|Blackout, The Last Breakfast, Happy Hour, Hollywood Ending, and short story collection Emotionless Souls. David lives and works in New York City where he continues to bang his head to the glam gods of the eighties.